10/18: Okay, my job caught up on me, need to work even on weekends. Well, let me continue blogging on my trip. Sorry guys!

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Funny China's English Language!

Have you ever heard of a China Chinese speak English? I did and I almost vomited. Some Chinese wanted to sound sophisticated by mixing a few English words in their conversation but ended up sounding stupid in front of those English speaking folks. On my way to Shenzhen International Airport on Monday, I overhead a Chinese trying to say “Oh my god” on the phone, but sounded like “Owl might good”. To make it worse, the way he said those words sounded like singing with every word in higher key than the previous word (try mixing ‘Do Re Mi’ keys into ‘Owl might good’, then you should get what I meant).

A few days ago, I flipped through the hotel information guide and saw this statement under ‘Power’.

If you enlarge the photo, you would see this statement “220 dog days, 110 dog’s days”. I read a few times and really did not understand what it meant until I read the mandarin section - “220 V, 110V’. Wow, who translated this information guide? “Volt” = “Dog Days”? The translator either hated this 4-star hotel in Meizhou or the English standard over there was really low! I bet the later!

Lastly, another proof that the Chinese public has zero knowledge on English words or should I say the most common English cursing.

Sorry for those who do not understand the name on this signboard, but I bet you should be able to match its pronunciation. In Mandarin, it pronounces as “Hua De Fa” but it is acceptable if you make it sound like “What The F*ck”. I do hope that it is not the owner’s name. J



5 comments:

youngcampbell said...

dog whattttt??????????? :)

dreckker said...

hahaha... WTF...

Lion in the Jungle said...

dun get the dog days thingy

but well.. phuc diem!

Anonymous said...

At least they (the ones who try to speak in English) are trying. You shouldn't discriminate. Some of them are really trying to learn. About the hotel thing, no comment.. THAT is just dumb, resorting to 'direct' translations..

renaye said...

oh well.. some chinese people still have long way to master english!