10/18: Okay, my job caught up on me, need to work even on weekends. Well, let me continue blogging on my trip. Sorry guys!

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Older Parents Got Abandoned

I get extremely upset whenever I read news regarding children abandoning their parents. I know it is no such a big deal in western countries because the children was forced to leave their home when they reached the age of 18 as a sign of reaching adulthood and the government no longer sponsors their living expenses. It might even be funny to know a guy still live with their parents at that stage.

Imagine, a guy bringing a girl home for a ‘coffee’ (you know what I mean because western countries have different ‘culture’) and when things got ‘hot’ the guy told the girl, “Can we keep it low, my parents are sleeping”, or half way through the intimate moment suddenly the voice upstairs (no, the voice not from god) asking “ Son, are you alright? Did you break ous favorite chairs again? We hear you banging on something at this hour!

Anyway, Asia is a different place. Most government do not pay for children living expenses right from the time they were born. Parents usually fought hard for that so that we could live well and happy. When I started working, I realize that it is a very difficult feat. Working by itself is stressful enough, not to mention trying to fulfill the basic necessities of the children. However, it seems for some, when the parents get old and responsibilities have been switched, the children no longer do the same for their parents, some even abandon them and let institutes or hospitals taking care of them, such an irresponsible act!

I’m sure when everyone gets old, the only thing they want are to enjoy the golden years with their grandchildren. It should be a happy moment. I remembered my father told me this when I was young “I will always work hard to give the best to you”, I shall pass back this message to them in the future and also to my children. As for those that abandon their old parents, I curse that your children do the same to you! Hmmm.. or maybe this was how the chain of reaction started….

5 comments:

丁丁 said...

This post is so meaningful :)
Thumbs up!!

RealGunners said...

sadly, nowadays, more and more parents begin planning for themselves while raising their kids.. seems like they just would not count on children as their life support at old age..

AsX said...

ThinkING -> Thx! Just writing wat i have in mind when reading the news. So, when r u sharing ur cooking?

Gunner -> Yeah, that's what EPF is for? Still no matter what, parents are always parents. It's our responsibilities. Hmmm, saying so, i need to plan budget for my future in-laws.. :P

dreckker said...

ahh??

u planning to get married liaw meh bugger??

AsX said...

dreckker -> U know? Emergency fund... just in case i got someone pregnant... hold on... might be more than one!! Oh gee....