10/18: Okay, my job caught up on me, need to work even on weekends. Well, let me continue blogging on my trip. Sorry guys!

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hong Kong Travel: How Expensive Was The Food?

Hong Kong is famous of its food. Just try to walk into any food stall or shop and you will definitely agree with me! If you visit the right place, some food would bring tears to you (yeah it was that good); however when the bill came, it would usually bring tears to your wallet too (yeah, they were pretty expensive!).

The thing with Hong Kong is the living standard is so high that a cleaner’s salary is around HK$8000+ (which is around RM3600++). This meant that every Hong Kong folks I met was far richer than me. I was the poorest of them all! Gee, imagine being the lowest earning guy in this society! Maybe I should be the one cleaning the cleaner’s place, or the person who opened door for the hotel doorman, or even the guy who polished the beggar’s shoe while asking for tips from him!

So, how expensive was the food over there?

Wanton Noodle – HK$36 (around RM17)

I took this noodle at an ordinary eatery called “Yun Kei”.

Look at the Wanton’s size, as big as golf ball!

The noodle was tender and nice! Although the price was still bearable for me, it made me imagine the price for those famous foods.

Yinyong Beverage – HK$18 (around RM9)

Accompanying my wanton Noodle was Yinyong.

This beverage is made from a mixture of coffee and Hong Kong Style milk tea. It had a rich silky taste, but I suggested you finish it before the bill come.

So as you could see, a normal food plus 10% tax would be around RM36 in Hong Kong whereas in Penang if we were charged RM5 at a coffee shop, we would be scolding the cook, or probably his mother, his family or whoever related to him or her.

By the way, the roasted goose and pork rice was good too, again around HK$36.

Anyway, I also tried the famous mango desert at Hui Lao Shan (许留山).


It was priced at HK$32, so no matter what I need to show that it taste good, right?

Actually it did!

Well, I too tried the stinky tofu but forgot to put the chili sauce, so it was tasteless for me.


Felt like biting into a normal fried tofu. Oh ya, the strange thing was it smelled bad, really bad until you had the first bite, then the smell seemed disappeared. I think it might be too smelly until my nose or taste bud shut down, masking off the stinky smell.

A lesson learnt was that after eating stinky tofu, remember to cover your mouth when asking for direction, and if you were asking for the toilet, remember to let them know that you had stinky tofu, else they would think you have accidentally sh*t or pee into your pants.

Still, Hong Kong food is really too expensive for me. Can you imagine the price of the food in restaurant? Nah, better don’t imagine, you might faint…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it so expensive? Is it because of the restaurant or is it normal in HK?

p/s: Let's join our Blogging Community Malaysia Boleh!

AsX said...

Well, it is pretty normal in Hong Kong... actually cheapest one..

Anonymous said...

eh, ok lah .. the portions are big ma, right? the rice n dishes, i mean.
the wanton mee servings are so small, you'll be tempted to order double mee.

but at HKD20 per bowl, you'd think twice. hahaha ....

though i dun quite like Hui Lau Shan's mango desserts. maybe cz we have way sweeter mangoes here in Msia.

AsX said...

J2Kfm -> True true! Yeah, i guess when u priced something high (eg. mango dessert), it tended to be appreciated more even if the mango is not as sweet as Malaysia.

dreckker said...

the last time I went there, a place of chicken rice was HK$28 (RM14), but it was seriously gooooood lor... and the portion was damn huge also...

but still have to agree lah... HK food price will kill us Malaysians...
-____-