10/18: Okay, my job caught up on me, need to work even on weekends. Well, let me continue blogging on my trip. Sorry guys!

Monday, September 7, 2009

Professional Words vs True Words


In this professional world, usually when we said something nicely, in our heart we usually meant other things instead. I had such experience when speaking face to face with a guy in the office from a different department a few days ago.

The people from that department love leeching on our departments work and then make it as their accomplishment. It usually ended that they were awarded the highest recognition in their department, the Department Recognition Award; whereas our department only manage to ‘eat lime’ (‘食桔’, Cantonese meaning of having nothing when the effort is all yours).

So, I met up with that guy and tried my best to convey the message to him professionally, “I know that it is really inconvenient for you, but it is better that we follow the formal process if you wish us to assist you in your task. You know our department is currently overwhelmed with important projects and if you route your request to our managers then he could assign the correct priority or attention and we could work on it accordingly. This is because later your request is far more important than us and we did not response on time.”

Actually what I meant was “What the hell! @!#$%^&*(&^%$ You personally asked us to work on this without our manager knowing and then you guys just sit there while we do your job! In the end, what we got? NOTHING! And you guys get all the awards and all the promotions! You think we were THAT STUPID again?!!! We will make sure our manager SCREW YOU!

So, the guy agreed and emailed to my project manager; and of course got a slap in the face because usually they just threw everything to us and asked us to solve the issue without knowing what really went wrong.


My program manager said this to them (censored or modified some content to avoid leaking out some work sensitive stuffs):

When I thanked my program manager that time, I realized he actually meant something like this “When you went to see a doctor, the doctor surely would ask you what’s wrong!"

Yeah, he got a point. You were not expected to go to the clinic, striped yourself naked and asked the doctor to check what’s wrong with you!

4 comments:

Allison said...

sometimes we hv to use these 'professional' words to prevent conflicts also.

AsX said...

Allison -> Conflict? Mind giving example?

Thx for dropping by. Anyway, have fun in Redang!

dreckker said...

professional: "sorry boss... I gotta take this incoming call... bye..."

actually: "wtf am I wasting my time talking to this SOB... luckily I thought of this incoming call shit... yeah!!"

AsX said...

Dreckker -> Haha, i actually tried that trick too! Even found a website to help me do that: http://www.getmooh.com