10/18: Okay, my job caught up on me, need to work even on weekends. Well, let me continue blogging on my trip. Sorry guys!

Monday, May 18, 2009

Furikake, a Poor Man Food for Japanese

I love Japanese, from the fresh food, cutes girls (is there any Japanese girl out there?), animes to the gadgets. Can’t deny that they are smart peoples! Do you know what is Furikake? It is a dry Japanese condiment meant to be sprinkled on top of rice In other words, it is an instant food sprinkler packed inside a jar. 

It is nutritious because typically consists of a mixture of dried and ground fish, sesame seeds and chopped seaweed.

 

I came to know about this thing when my parents related their trip to Japan. The tour leader explained that during university time, she was poor; so in order to save on the meals, everyday she just took plain rice with Furikake. So, in other words, Furikake + Rice is a poor man’s meal.

 

My parents gave me one jar of Furikake with wasabi. They said that it was expensive. A check at the local supermarket showed that the most expensive one cost RM16. In order to simulate a Japanese poor man’s meal, I went to buy a pack of 1kg Japanese Rice costing me RM13.

 

I love Japanese Rice because it is larger in size and contains more moisture. 

So, here we go, rice with sprinkled Furikake. It makes the rice looks nicer! 

Hey! I tasted nice! It is like eating those instant noodle with those fake food flavoring, but the good thing of Furikake is that it is of real food, just chopped or minced into bits! I guess I will be living my life as poor Japanese for a few weeks! If I could make 10 meals out of this jar then my meal would just cost around RM2.90 each, not bad! I love Japanese!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

U can intro this to gunner. hehe. he damn poor. hehe.

AsX said...

Cath -> I dunno how long he can last without a piece of meat...

TOLANIC said...

Wow. Look very interesting. How much the price in Malaya?

Anonymous said...

no no...the rice itself is not cheap....RM10 for 1kg?

RealGunners said...

RM2.90 for rice and a few sprinkles, and that's cheap?