10/18: Okay, my job caught up on me, need to work even on weekends. Well, let me continue blogging on my trip. Sorry guys!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mount Gambier @ Australia (Not Malaysia Ones)

Need to clarify 2 things before I proceed with this entry to avoid confusion:

  • First of all I am not talking about the Bukit Gambier in Penang, Malaysia.
  • Lastly, like what I mentioned before about Australian naming places, Mount Gambier is not a mountain but a city.

 

Mount Gambier was just like a normal city with very well-organized roads. We took a different route this time, traveling from Adelaide to Melbourne. This was where we spent the night and it was Christmas Eve.

Blue Lake  

One of the famous places at Mount Gambier was the Blue Lake. This place was nicely name because the lake was really blue. Not like those places in Malaysia where the name did not coincide with the place. Eg. Pulau Tikus was not famous for the rats; Kuching had less cats as compared to other places; and can’t find black river at Air Hitam.


 This lake supplies water to everyone here, so we were not allowed to go near it. But I thought I saw a flock of seagulls dropping something from the sky… hmmm…

 

By the way, according to this board, this was how the lake was formed. From a piece of land into a volcano then becoming a lake. If it explodes one day, I guess the people would be drinking lava here.

Next, we went to Mount Schank which was not far from this spot.

Mount Schank

Mount Schank was also a volcano but it seemed died off. 

The problem with this place was that we need to climb the mountain! Luckily, the mountain was not so tall and neither it was steep.

 

These were the views on top of the mountain.


As you could see, there was no longer any lava or smoke coming from the center of the mountain. It was our opportunity to go and touch the centre of the volcano! Yoo Hoo!

 

With my brother sacrificing himself to take photo, my Dad, Mum, my youngest brother and I began our journey to the centre of the dead volcano.

 Yup, that was me and my Mum!

It only took 15 minutes for us to conquer the place.

The feeling of standing in the center was wonderful. When I yelled at my brother above, it seemed the whole structure amplified my voice. It was that cool! These were the views from the centre of the dead volcano.


 

On our way out of the place, we bumped into a girl whom I learnt to admire and respect.

She seemed to travel alone from West Australia (judging from her car plate number and this was South Australia), visiting places along her journey. So, inside her car, you could find lots of stuffs with her. It seemed that her car was not only her transport but her sleeping place.




I think in future I shall learn from her and start traveling across Europe, Australia and US. Unfortunately I could not do so in Malaysia because it would be very hot to sleep in the car, and who knows, I might end up being robbed or murdered!


3 comments:

NickTay said...

I loved Mt gambier. Visited there last year on my road trip in Aussie :)

Annoymous said...

Omg, the water looks super duper Blue!

AsX said...

Nick, I think it is a must to go there if you have the chance to pass by the place, right?

Harmony, go and visit there next time, i heard that the water has started to change color, especially winter where it last time will turn green but now looks more grey-ish.